Posted .

Cavities caused by tooth decay can easily develop into serious problems. Inlay and onlay fillings can often repair modest size cavities. If too much enamel has been lost to properly anchor a filling then most of the enamel will need to be replaced with a crown.

Most inlays and onlays are made from gold or porcelain which is crafted in a dental lab. The difference between inlays and onlays is directly related to the size and location of the cavity. Most

An inlay refers to a filling that only covers the biting surface. An onlay is typically somewhat larger and might include a portion of the side of the tooth as well as the biting surface.

A crown is called for when a large area of decay has compromised too much enamel. During a crown procedure the dentist removes excess enamel leaving an abutment. A temporary crown is then cemented over top while a dental lab prepares a permanent crown made from porcelain or gold.

If you have questions about what type of filling you might need, feel free to call us at 702-564-2526 to schedule an appointment.